What is the best exercise bike for a bad back?
The best exercise bike for people with back pain or lower back pain is a recumbent exercise bike, and in this article, I am going to discuss the top 5 best recumbent bikes for people suffering from back problems.
An ergonomic design should be prioritized in the best exercise bikes for back problems.
Those who suffer from back pain or discomfort while training needs specialized fitness machines that do not aggravate the health condition. In the case of exercise bikes, the machines for such health concerns are recumbent bikes as they feature a seated cycling position.
What to look for in an exercise bike when having back problems
When you are after an exercise bike with lower back pain or discomfort, it is important to look at all characteristics, but especially at those related to the riding position.
Ergonomic seats, multiple resistance levels, and built-in transportation wheels are among the main characteristics to look for. Even smaller characteristics such as self-leveling pedals can help reduce back pain. Here are the most important features to look out for when purchasing these exercise bikes.
- Seat design for back pain
The recumbent bike’s seat design is the most important when it comes to low back pain. The backrest should be angled outwards as a perfectly vertical 90-degrees backrest puts unnecessary pressure on the back.
- Resistance levels and training programs
Those with back problems do not yet have the physical condition to ride at the most demanding resistance levels. But this is not to say that an exercise bike does not need to have adjustable resistance. The more resistance level exercise bikes have, the better they are equipped for long-term painless cycling.
- Transportation wheels
The last thing those with a bad back need is to lift the exercise bike. These bikes can weigh up to 90lbs, which makes them too heavy for those with back problems. Therefore, built-in transportation wheels are crucial on exercise bikes.
According to these main directions, you can choose the following best exercise bikes to train properly at home. All of them come with an adjustable ergonomic design that reduces low back pain.
The TOP 5 Best Exercise Bikes for Back Problems 2021 (Reviews):
1. Exerpeutic 900XL Recumbent Exercise Bike Review – Best Overall
Made with a backrest, this exercise bike is ideal for all of those with mobility issues. Simple and easy to use, it is the bike you can rely on to burn excess calories without investing in overly complicated fitness equipment.
Exerpeutic’s exercise bike with backrest offers all the functions you need to get started in fitness. Most importantly, this recumbent bike comes with a seated cycling position made possible by a large saddle and a tall backrest. This reduces pressure on the back, and it allows you to mainly train using your legs, without involving core body muscles.
The bike comes with 8 magnetic resistance levels. Users adjust these depending on the intensity level they are after. As a person with back pain or serious health issues such as herniated discs, the lower intensity levels seem to be the wisest option.
For the moments when the back pain disappears, this bike can also be used for intense cycling sessions. The riding intensity level can be analyzed using the built-in LCD. For all of those interested in health data during fitness workouts, Exerpeutic’s pulse grip sensors can also help with real-time heart rate zone analysis.
- Your purchase includes Exerpeutic 900 XL Recumbent...
- Exercise Bike dimensions: 54” L x 22” W x...
- Large Oversized seat cushion and back rest for...
- Easy-to-read LCD display indicates distance,...
- Recumbent stationary bike offers challenging...
- The bike holds users of up to 300lbs.
- Designed with a height-adjustable seat.
- Made with built-in transportation wheels.
- It only weighs 63lbs.
2. Sunny Health & Fitness Magnetic Recumbent Exercise Bike Review – Best for Small Rooms
The compact Sunny Health & Fitness bike is ideal for small spaces. Since many of those training at home do not need the largest fitness equipment, this is one of the best exercise bikes for back problems to consider. Its compact design does not prevent it from offering a complete cycling experience with reduced pressure on the back.
Another very good reason to consider this exercise bike for low back pain is its inseam or seat distance adjustments. You can adjust the seat from 29 to 38 inches which makes it ideal for both tall and short users.
The adjustment range of this bike’s seat is also important for how your body feels when it comes to fitness training with back pain. This recumbent bike for back pain can have a reduced impact on your body if you position it correctly, typically so that your knees are as straight as possible.
Resistance levels can also be adjusted through a rotating knob on this bike. Much like all its competitors, it comes with 8 levels of resistance, mainly ideal for those starting in fitness or those with health issues such as back pain who do not need too many resistance levels.
- RESISTANCE: Adjust the intensity of your workout...
- DIGITAL MONITOR WITH PULSE: Track your workout...
- EASY SEAT ADJUSTMENT: Adjust your seat forward or...
- STABILIZER: Level your bike to your space by...
- DUAL HANDLEBARS: Enjoy flexibility during your...
- It tracks workout time and calories.
- Made with 2 sets of handles.
- Included self-leveling pedals for reduced back problems.
- Made with a digital monitor.
3. ProForm 235 CSX Recumbent Bike Review – Best for Experienced Users
If you have already been training on a recumbent bike for a few months or a few years, you will need to upgrade to stay motivated. ProForm’s best exercise machine for lower back pain comes with 18 levels of resistance. These can be adjusted through the workout so that you can stay a bit more motivated, especially when this might become difficult due to back pain.
Made for some of the most dedicated home fitness fans, this exercise bike with a backrest comes with multiple grip points through its multiple handlebars. These are also equipped with EKG pulse grips. Small extras such as a durable cushioned seat and an integrated water bottle holder make the recumbent bike an even better choice when it comes to staying hydrated and comfortable in long 1-hour cycling sessions.
Since it is made for intense use, the exercise bike is also made with some of the most rugged materials on the market. These allow ProForm to grant this expense it is made for intense use; the exercise bike is also made with some of the most rugged materials on the market. These allow ProForm to grant this exercise bike a 5-year frame warranty, making it one of the safest long-term fitness machine purchases.
- Discover Low-Impact Cardio Workouts at Home; The...
- Large LCD Window Display; Track distance, cadence,...
- 18 Resistance Levels; Manually choose your...
- Oversized Adjustable Seat; Enjoy lumbar support as...
- 275-pound weight capacity; Protected with a 5-year...
- 275lbs maximum user’s weight
- Built-in iPod-compatible audio system
- It uses silent magnetic resistance.
- Made with sweat-resistant handlebars.
4. Schwinn Fitness 230 Recumbent Bike Review – Best for Pre-Programed Workouts
Schwinn is a world leader in fitness bike manufacturing. This is seen in its 230 recumbent bikes for back problems.
This stationary bike for people with a bad back comes with pre-programmed workouts. You can choose from 13 programs with different intensity levels.
Instead of simply cycling on your own, these programs dictate the rhythm of cycling and they even change the pace through the workout.
Essentially, the programs help those who think daily cycling can be a bit boring.
There are 16 resistance levels to choose from when you want to cycle without any help. These programs are ideal for almost all of those interested in getting the most of their fitness bike, especially since they have dedicated adjustment buttons.
Another very good reason to consider this bike as an overweight user is its large seat. With one of the widest saddles and a ventilated ergonomic backrest, the bike is ideal for back pain and even for long workouts.
While the seat is not cushioned, its ergonomic design ensures you will sit in a correct position with reduced lumbar pressure.
There is even a tablet holder integrated into this bike’s console. If you love cycling apps on tablets or smartphones this accessory can be used to follow along with various online workouts. Schwinn runs a few of these workouts.
- Dimensions: 64" L x 27" w x 44.5" H | Weight: 80...
- With enhanced Bluetooth connectivity, users can...
- Discover 1000 Plus structured workouts and 80 Plus...
- 5.5" LCD offers 13 workout programs
- 16 levels of magnetic resistance for a wide range...
- Telemetry heart rate enabled and ergonomically...
- Thick padded contoured seat with large vented back
- Weighted strapped pedals
- High speed, high inertia perimeter weighted...
- Compatible with Zwift cycling route app.
- Made with a 5.5” LCD screen
- The bike weighs 80lbs
- Designed with oversized foot pedals.
5. Xterra SB2.5r Recumbent Bike Review – Best for Entertainment
Designed with loud built-in speakers, this Xterra release is one of the best exercise machines for lower back pain that works for training motivation.
Listening to your favorite bands or even to a podcast can make cycling more fun and it can even take your mind off your back issues.
This bike is made for the dedicated user and therefore it also features the most training programs on our list.
It comes with 25 programs that you can use to target different heart zones. This style of training maintains your heart rate in a certain range. For example, a few of these programs specifically target calories burning through maintaining an elevated heart rate.
A 22lbs flywheel is added to this bike to simulate real-world cycling. Since this is also one of the heaviest flywheels on the market, it might just be one of the most recommended fitness machines for those who want to go to the next fitness level while taking care of their back by cycling in a seated position.
- Convenient walk-thru design
- 24 programs including 12 pre-set, 4 heart rate, 1...
- Large 5" x 2.5" dual color backlit LCD display is...
- Audio Jack and speakers for MP3 player built into...
- 24 levels of electronic resistance provide a...
- Convenient walk-thru design comes with comfortably...
- 22lb heavy duty flywheel offers premium, fluid...
- Designed with leveler adjustments for all floors.
- Included seat adjustment tension knob.
- Made with built-in transportation wheels.
- Includes 4-user defined training programs.
- Best Exercise Bike for Bad knees (Arthritic)
- Best Recumbent Bike for Weight Loss
- Best Exercise Bikes for Tall Person
Only the best exercise bikes for back problems can be a real everyday option when it comes to good health and proper posture.
Even when training at home, it can take a while to accommodate back into a workout routine for those experiencing various back issues.
However, the right exercise bike can come with proper lumbar support, which is key to diminish unnecessary pressure on the lower back.